Cross-platform app development has become popular for businesses striving to create mobile solutions swiftly and cost-effectively. In this article, S-PRO experts will highlight the risks and benefits of cross-platform app development. Also, we will outline the most efficient ways to balance those advantages and potential pitfalls when creating a successful digital product.
What Businesses Need to Know About the Risks of Cross-Platform Development
Several risk factors are similar for all cross-platform apps. In particular, it’s worth taking into account the following factors:
- App’s Speed And Performance. Cross-platform apps are slower than native solutions. That’s because they have an additional level of abstraction due to the native code’s specifics.
- In-App Purchases. iOS and Android purchase flows differ. So to provide a consistent user experience, you should use a third-party payment gateway.
- Push Messages. Some limitations may occur regarding the types of notifications you can send via a cross-platform app.
- Camera Usage. Camera utilization differs across platforms.
- User Experience. The app’s UX for iOS and Android slightly varies, as well. Specific UI libraries can resolve this issue.
- System-Specific APIs Usage. Certain APIs may only be available on iOS or Android. It often limits cross-platform apps’ functionality.
However, this list of risks shouldn’t scare you away. On the contrary, you can overcome those challenges with proper assistance and get the maximum benefits of cross-platform app development.
Advantages Of Cross Platform App Development
Cross-platform development introduces numerous benefits. They outweigh the existing risks and turn such apps into attractive options for businesses aiming to save on a budget.
Here are the most compelling benefits you will get with cross-platform development.
Benefits for Businesses
- Reduced Time-To-Market. With cross-platform development, businesses can launch their apps faster than their competitors and get extra time to gain a solid customer base.
- Wider Audience Reach. By simultaneously releasing apps to Play Market and Apple Store, businesses reach a larger audience and increase their market share.
- Lower Development Costs. A single codebase for deploying your app across multiple platforms significantly saves the development budget.
- Revenue Growth. Cross-platform development frees up resources. Thus, you can invest in other areas, such as customer service, to increase your revenue.
Advantages for Engineering Teams
- Convenient Development. Cross-platform app developers apply all functional changes in one codebase.
- Improved Productivity. Developers can reuse code, which boosts their productivity.
- Effortless QA. Cross-platform apps are easier to test and debug. You can fix a bug for both platforms simultaneously.
Perks for End Users:
- Lower Prices. Cross-platform development results in lower prices for end users since businesses reduce development and maintenance costs.
- Faster Updates. Android and iOS users get access to feature updates and bug fixes simultaneously. All they should do is download the latest version of your app.
- Convenient UX. Users can install and use the same app on multiple devices regardless of their preferred operating system.
How To Maximize Benefits Of Cross-Platform App Development
Now, let’s look at some helpful tips on maximizing cross-platform development benefits and eliminating potential risks.
Evaluate App Requirements
It’s a good idea to verify whether cross-platform development fits your product. For example, if your app requires high load and performance, advanced graphics, or multiple platform-specific features, we suggest going for native development. But if you don’t have such requirements, cross-platform development is the optimal choice.
Choose An Optimal Cross-Platform Framework
Consider the programming language used in other parts of your project. Also, pay attention to the development complexity and your team’s skill set. With this in mind, you can choose the most suitable framework for your app. For more information, check out our overview of the seven best cross-platform frameworks.
Review App’s UX Thoroughly
Collaborating with designers is essential to provide a consistent user experience for iOS and Android users. Ensure your app meets the audience’s needs and allows for all target actions. Note that cross-platform frameworks like React Native offer rich UI libraries and support third-party UI components.
Set Up A Quality Testing Process
Conduct extensive testing to identify compatibility and performance problems that may impact the user experience. To ensure everything works as expected, use an emulator and consider testing your product on real iOS and Android devices.
Case Study: Successful Cross-Platform Mobile Development
Have a look at Collabri, a sleek marketplace app for small jobs, services, and leisure activities. Collabri is an excellent example highlighting the benefits of cross-platform app development, such as reduced time to market, easy maintenance, and user-friendly UX.
In four months, we launched the app on Google Play and App Store. Collabri’s technology stack includes React.js, Python, React Native, PHP Laravel, and Django.
In Collabri, users can complete the following tasks:
- Create profiles and add profile info
- Search jobs and experiences, applying filters based on price, location, and other factors
- Browse an interactive map to see jobs and experiences nearby
- Post job requests
- Apply for jobs
- Create ads and promote skills
- Pay for services
- Calculate earnings
- Leave reviews
S-PRO provided the following services for this project:
- Project management
- UX/UI Design
- Mobile development
- Backend and frontend development
Are you looking for a cross-platform app development company in London or Zurich? Then, you are in the right place. Contact S-PRO, and we will deal with your project.
Summary: How To Balance Cross-Platform App Development Benefits And Risks
With careful requirements evaluation, choosing the optimal framework, creating an elaborate UX, and thorough testing, businesses shouldn’t be afraid of building cross-platform mobile apps.
In this article, S-PRO experts outlined the risks and benefits of cross-platform app development. We also provided several tips on enhancing cross-platform app development value for your business. Finally, we presented an example of an outstanding cross-platform app we developed for one of our clients.
We would love to help you too. Fill in the form, and let’s discuss your ideas!